Saturday, April 14, 2012

#5 Free Classics for Kids

     Welcome to our newest readership in Australia.  We applaud the high level of literacy you have in your part of the world.

     I am still getting used to a brand new computer. It is both wonderful and terrible; a blessing and a curse.  My life will never be the same, and there is still much to learn.  I feel that I've been moving forward in slow motion as overwhelming agony and confusion enveloped me.

     Enough artistic expressions, though.  I am finally ready to move forward.

     I promised you some time ago that I would discuss the free Kindle ebooks of classic literature available from Amazon.com and will begin with one of my favorites.


     Robert Louis Stevenson wrote Treasure Island for his stepson, Lloyd Osbourn, and published it in 1883.  Because its chapters were originally printed as a series of tidy little parts--a serial--they are just the right size for shared read-aloud sessions between our young readers and their mentors.


     The language is a bit tricky, and the descriptions need to be carefully analyzed as you progress through the reading. (I had my fourth graders draw the maps, floorplans, etc. to clarify details.)


     ...But the story is incredible.  It pulls readers of all ages into itself and provides us with the opportunity to read a real classic in the original words of the author.


     And (wonder of wonders), it is free as a Kindle ebook from Amazon.com!  Be careful which version you select, and make sure you find the one that lists the price as $0.00.


     There are dozens of these children's classics, and I will suggest another one next time. Join us then.


     And happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment