Saturday, July 28, 2012

#10 Three Wonder-ful Ebooks for Kids

     I intended to recommend some Ebooks of historical fiction for kids in this post.  I even announced that I would do so.  I still plan to do it--next time.


     You see, I became distracted by a very special new piece of literature for children and felt compelled to adjust my schedule to make room for it right this minute. 


     R.J. Palacio's Wonder is wonderful, and two other books  fell nicely into place beside it.  In the classroom, we called it the "teachable moment".


     So today when I recommend another trio of books published in various time periods, you will find that they all share the word "wonder" as a part of their titles.


     They are all available for Kindle devices from Amazon.com and for Nook from Barnes & Noble.


*****


     Wonder by R.J. Palacio was published earlier this year.  Told in first person by six of the main characters, the story reveals Auggie's realistic experience as he enters school for the first time with the facial deformity he's had since birth.


     Palacio's writing rings true and honest, and I look forward to seeing this author's name listed as awards are announced later this year.  I also hope to read more of her work in the future.


     Wonder is available for both Kindle and Nook on Amazon.com and B&N for $10.99, and is also offered in audio formats.


*****

     Tony DiTerlizzi's The Search for WondLa was published in 2010.  A futuristic piece of science fiction, the story's presentation is enhanced by the author/illustrator's liberal use of his own very creative illustrations.

     This ebook is available at $8.99 for the  Amazon and Barnes&Noble reading devices.   

    (Diterlizzi has recently published a sequel called A Hero for WondLa, but you should be aware that the story plots are sequential, and better understood when read in order.)

*****

     Just as I did in post #9, I am again recommending a classic as my third ebook.

     Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland was first published in 1865 by Charles Dodgson who wrote as Lewis Carroll.  Many versions of this story exist, including a popular animated movie by Walt Disney.


     Amazon and Barnes & Noble each offer versions with the author's original and complete words for the Kindle devices (free) and the Nooks ($.99).


*****

     I hope you will forgive me this little side trip.  Next time I will follow through on my promise to recommend historical fiction.

     Recently I finished publishing the last of my seven ebooks for Barnes & Noble's Nook eReader.  They are all seven available for Amazon's Kindle as well.  Lucky Alana (Agent C Series) by Lynda sells for $3.99.

     
     My other titles are:

         Tiny Others (Agent C Series) by Lynda, $3.99
         Pomegranate (Agent C Series) by Lynda, $3.99
         White Rabbit Time (Agent C Series) by Lynda, $3.99
         Margaret's Christmas Cookies by Lynda, $2.99
         Circles in the Wind by Lynda, $2.99
         Monkey Tales by Lynda, $2.99

     These ebooks are all illustrated, and have various reading levels.

     You may be interested in my other blog, at www.jumpup2chapterbooks.blogspot.com. Its purpose is to encourage reading in students who have the skills, but haven't yet found the joy in choosing to do it.


     
     ...And I will recommend three eBooks of historical fiction for kids next time.  It's a promise. 

              


    







No comments:

Post a Comment